A fine silvered Indian jug by Grish chunder dutt, Calcutta circa 1890 finely chased with figures, Hindu deities and animals amongst trees, particularly fine and detailed repousse.
The chased decoration depicting figures in a landscape is typically from Calcutta, but in this case the quality of the chasing and the naturalism appear to be exceptional. A very similar style and quality can be found in the best pieces by Grish Chunder Dutt, active in Bhowanipore, Calcutta.
Dimensions: Height 38 cm.
It was in Calcutta, in 1790, that the British East India Company first began the trading business that would, by 1858, lead to its control over all of India. Hamilton & Co. was the first British silversmith to set up shop in Calcutta. The pieces they produced in Calcutta, mainly for British consumption, were of polished silver with smooth lines and minimal decoration. Later on, in Bovanipore , a suburb of Calcutta, local silversmiths Grish Chunder Dutt, Dass & Dutt, and Goopee Nath Dutt created elaborately designed,répoussée, and chased scenes of Indian village and farming life, with human figures, animals, and trees.